The Global Media Research Network brings together a team of international scholars from the University of Westminster’s world-leading Communication and Media Research institute, who specialise in the study of media, culture and society in different regions of the world, including, but not limited to: Africa, China, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and South Asia.
GMRN encourages critical and high-quality research in global media that is positioned in an international, comparative and historical context. It reflects on recent paradigmatic shifts in the field of media, communication and cultural studies and focuses on key research areas, including: critical political economy of digital media; internationalizing media studies and cultural translation; social change and digital media, critical theory, as well as audiences and media ethnography in a globalised context.
- Create a focus for research and knowledge transfer on global media and culture in a comparative international context,
- Attract high-quality research students
- Strengthen the already strong collaborative links with universities, research institutions internationally, information and communication NGOs and creative and cultural industries
- Gain funding for research projects focused on international media
- Participate in international joint research and training projects
- Provide a platform for research students, media and cultural organisations by organising workshops, seminars, symposia and international conferences
- Provide research-based resources for stakeholders, policy makers, governments, international organisations and the non-governmental sector.